geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: 1.1 problem with collection valued references
Date Sun, 09 Apr 2006 20:41:23 GMT
On Apr 9, 2006, at 12:23 AM, David Jencks wrote:

> There seems to be a problem with collection valued references in
> 1.1.  Normally we want a collection valued reference to determine
> its members based on the target gbeans implementing an interface.
> This works great for single valued references but currently there
> is no way to specify an interface that is actually used for a
> collection valued reference.  I was under the impression that the
> interface declared in GBeanInfo was used for this purpose but this
> is not currently the case.  There is also no way to specify an
> interface in the xml for a plan.
>
> As I see it, the desired interface is not something a user should
> be able to change, and it should be supplied in the gbean metadata,
> currently GBeanInfo.  I think requiring a user to specify the
> target interface in a plan is an undue burden.  However, if
> metadata is the only source this would make it difficult to, in the
> future, deploy services with collection valued references that lack
> metadata entirely.
>
> I think the best solution might be to use metadata if present (from
> GBeanInfo, annotations, or java 1.5 generics) and allow specifying
> the interface in the plan as well for when metadata is lacking.
>
> Comments?

I would prefer that we explicitly list the interfaces if the goal it
to query by interface.  As an experienced user I find it confusing
myself when I see a reference in a plan that contains no data.  I am
left wondering what we expected to get in the query.  I guess I could
take the extra step to open my ID, open the file in an editor, and
then scan for the GBeanInfo.

Anyway, I think my biggest dislike of this, it that it will make it
extremely difficult to remove the much hated GBeanInfos from our
services.

> I believe this is currently causing a problem with the
> JettyModuleBuilder and default servlets: the default servlet gbeans
> implement org.apache.geronimo.jetty.JettyDefaultServletHolder
> rather than org.apache.geronimo.jetty.JettyServletHolder but since
> there is no way to specify the desired target interface all
> servlets end up getting treated as default servlets, causing severe
> problems when hot deploying a web app.

I fixed this by just listing the two default servelts by name.  I
believe this is much less error prone.

-cain