geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Aaron Mulder" <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: Some observations from a user perspective on deploying an application
Date Fri, 28 Apr 2006 00:27:24 GMT
Do you want to try adding the files to the repository using the common
libraries area of the console and see if you think that's more
straightforward?  For example, it should suggest the different name
parts to use.  We could probably stand to make that page a little more
informative, so any suggestions you have would be great.

Thanks,
    Aaron

> All,
>
> I was looking at Aaron's "Guiding Principals" doc and rmembered I meant to post some
thoughts on the
> "Geronimo Experience."
>
> I've been working on deploying daytrader and have noted a couple of things that I think
are relevant
> from a user perspective.  Specifically these around the repository.
>
> For my testing I've been using DB2 as the database as I wanted to use a commercial database
that was
> external to the AppServer.  The same story is true for MySQL, PostGres, etc.
>
> In order to deploy a dependent jar into the repo you have to add the group, artifact
and version
> information.  So in the case of DB2 there are two jars you have to add.  They are the
db2jcc.jar and
> the db2jcc_license_cu.jar.  Putting them into the repo I did the following:
>
> mkdir -p ./geronimo-1.1-SNAPSHOT/repository/com/ibm/db2/db2jcc_license_cu/8.1/
>
> mkdir -p ./geronimo-1.1-SNAPSHOT/repository/com/ibm/db2/db2jcc/8.1/
>
> Then I copied the jars into the repo:
>
> cp db2jcc.jar ./geronimo-1.1-SNAPSHOT/repository/com/ibm/db2/db2jcc/8.1/db2jcc-8.1.jar
>
> cp db2jcc_license_cu.jar
> ./geronimo-1.1-SNAPSHOT/repository/com/ibm/db2/db2jcc_license_cu/8.1/db2jcc_license_cu-8.1.jar
>
> For the most part this is certainly doable but is actually pretty tedious.  Also, following
the
> convention, the artifactname and the version are duplicated in the actual deployed jar;
seems a bit
> redundant.
>
> I wanted to validate that my usage is correct per the original design.  If it is I think
we're
> probably missing one of the points in Aaron's doc about the server being simple to use.
 At least