geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Aaron Mulder" <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: We may need to rethink unversioned dependencies among server plans...
Date Thu, 20 Apr 2006 11:25:51 GMT
First, can you rev the version of the plugin so we can eliminate that
as a possible source of the problem?

Second, what happens when we go to upgrade j2ee-server from 1.1(.0) to
1.1.1 at runtime?  During that redeploy operation, both 1.1.0 and
1.1.1 will be present in the config store, and the configuration
manager has to re-resolve all the dependencies, and I don't think it's
workable to have an explicit version file at runtime (when who knows
which patches will be applied in which order).

I think we need to adopt a strategy of either favoring the newest
entry in the config store by date or favoring the highest version
number.  I think I'd prefer to give the newest entry precedence.  It
does mean that if you have 1.1.2 and later install 1.1.1 it will
downgrade, but that seems better to me than try to decide whether
1.1.1-patch-aaron-5 or 1.1.1-2345-fix-by-dain has a higher version
number.

Thanks,
    Aaron