geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Aaron Mulder" <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: Merging from 1.1 to HEAD
Date Sun, 09 Apr 2006 19:59:26 GMT
On 4/9/06, Jacek Laskowski <jacek@laskowski.net.pl> wrote:
> I'd say do what's better for you atm. I guess it's not going to be an
> easy task to merge them so the more we've got sooner the better the
> merging will be.
>
> Btw, how do you do it? What's the command to merge the branch? Can you
> filter out some changes? How?

If it was up to me, I'd have to hit the SVN book.  I think you should
be able to generate diffs based on version range, so I'd think we
could generate a massive diff of all changes to the 1.1 branch since
the branch point, and then try to apply that to HEAD.  I'm assuming
we'd want to split it into small groups, like by modules, and try to
work out from kernel and have a couple people chip in.

If that's the case, it might be better not to merge changes between
1.1 and HEAD, since that would add changes to the branch that would
already exist in HEAD and when we went to do the big merge from 1.1 to
HEAD we'd get a bunch of "errors" about things that appeared to
already exist in the destination.  Not a huge deal, but it adds noise
to the operation.

But if someone has actual experience with a massive SVN merge like
this, please speak up!

> > I have also previously put some things into HEAD which I would like to
> > get into 1.1.  I assume I should merge those to 1.1 soon, because I
> > expect we will prepare the 1.1 release before attempting to fully
> > merge 1.1 into HEAD.  Is that right?
>
> Matt will surely know the answer, so I leave it to him ;)

Right.

Thanks,
    Aaron