geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Colasurdo <davec...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Simplify the welcome application
Date Fri, 28 Apr 2006 20:32:02 GMT
Aaron Mulder wrote:
>> Can we simplify the welcome application for the server?  I find the
>> shear amount of text on the page overwhelming.  I'm hoping we can
>> push the fine detail of to secondary pages.
>
> Do you have a proposal for what should go on the front page and what
> should not?

It does seem like a lot of information for the initial welcome page.
This will likely be the first page users hit to see if their
installation is successful.  We should keep it real simple with
additional inks for more info..

I think we should create links for:

"Would you like your application to appear at this URL?" and
"Would you like a slimmer Geronimo installation?"

And move the details to separate pages.

>> Also, what is the strategy for easily acquiring the samples?
>
> Someone was looking at that -- maybe pkashyap, I forget.  It was
> mentioned on IRC yesterday.  The deal is if you click a link to a
> sample that's not installed, it will explain and have a link to "click
> here to go to the plugin download page where you can install sample
> XYZ" or whatever.

I think the idea of web-based repository of plugins for geronimo is
really cool and will benefit the project.  From the perspective of
samples, the web-based plugin repository can provide an easy way to
organize and quickly install samples.

However, I'm wondering if the plugin repository is really the best fit
for quickly showcasing a few simple examples (e.g. servlets-examples).

A typical first time user will install geronimo, go to the welcome page
and probably follow a few of the links to the samples.  In G1.0 it all
merely works.  In G1.1, the user will need to navigate several panels
(e.g. Would you like to install samples,  provide id/pw for console, get
plugins from remote repo, start sample). I know we could probably
suppress some of these panels, though the user will still likely need to
make a few decisions about things they might not yet understand.  Also
they are dependent on network connectivity as well as remote server
availability.

Don't get me wrong, I think the plugin technology is a great idea and
quite useful.  I'm just wondering if we should continue to pre-populate
the G binary image with 1 or 2 simple samples that just merely work for
first time users..

Thanks
-Dave-