geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Hernan Cunico <hcun...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Some observations from a user perspective on deploying an application
Date Fri, 28 Apr 2006 01:23:05 GMT
Hi All,
today I got my first, and mostly functional, G 1.1 build and succeeded in deploying my first
DB2
data source through the console. I choose DB2 because of the multiple jars.

My impression at the end was, it is even more complicated than the previous version. The new
naming
convention is not exactly "charming"! :)

I think it is most likely that copying the jars to the repo will be a "command line" task
since you
already have to change (version) the name of the jars. Once you have the drivers in place
then you
move to the console and try to deploy the data source.

Using the console to install the jars is certainly better than doing it one-by-one manually
but
still there are 5 fields that need to be filled/verified for each jar to be installed. I think
the
option of choice for installing (copying) the drivers would still be the command line unless
we can
simplify the GUI process.

One way of simplifying it could be:

1- use the wizard to create a data source (first step as usual)
2- From the Driver Jar pull down menu...
      - it might be better to have a scroll down box where you can select (ctrl+) multiple
        jars if needed.
      - in the same scroll box have an option to install other drivers not listed
        other drivers not listed:
         - have a browse button to select multiple files to install in the same single operation
           if the files are already available locally (instead of going through the common
           libraries).  This option should keep to a minimum user
           required input.
           The multiple files selected serve one single purpose, hence it would be nice to
have them
           treated (listed) as a block, for example *DB2 8.1 JARs*
         - provide a download option (already available)
      - once the driver is installed continue with the regular existing procedure.
3- Optionally configure some of the connection pool parameters (timeouts, min and max pool
sz, etc)
4- Test and deploy

When editing an existing data source it would be nice to have the option for *Testing* the

connection again.

Cheers!
Hernan