geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Hogstrom <m...@hogstrom.org>
Subject DayTrader Update - 1.1 Release coming up
Date Tue, 25 Apr 2006 02:37:01 GMT
I am in the process of moving DayTrader out of the 1.1 Geronimo branch.  Since this is a performance

and J2EE sample I expect we'll be releasing it independently of Geronimo.  Here are a few
things to
know so far.

1. You can checkout DayTrader at svn co http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/daytrader
 It is
built nightly on the GBuild setup (thanks Mr. Blevins)

2. The only remaining modules left in the Geronimo tree is the database which I'll have converted
M2 this week.  When that is complete DayTrader will be built completely on its own and will
simply
become a dependency that can be included if desired.  (Vincent, if your interested in this
piece
I'll take your patches :)

3. DayTrader includes deployment descriptors for both Geronimo and JBoss.  I have not been
able to
get JBoss working yet with messaging yet so please do not consider these artifacts the best

performing ones.  For the JBoss lurkers on our list, take a look and let me know if they can
be
improved; we know your out there ;-P  I'm happy to accept donations for DD's and deployment

instructions for other AppServers.

4. 1.1 will be versioned this week or early next week.  This will be the basis for performance

comparisons.  SNAPSHOT versions are not comparable as changes in the project can affect performance

results.

5. I'll be adding a performance section to the WebSite this week so we can answer the FAQs
about
Geronimo and performance.

6. I'm looking to get DayTrader into shape so it can be installed from the Geronimo Plugins
site.
This will make installing the sample easier and also reduce our download and startup time
for the
Geronimo distributions for 1.1.

DayTrader Futures

* Someone is looking at providing a Spring / JDBC function that will extend the modes of operation

of DayTrader.  There may be some work on EJBs as well.

* Stan Cox from IBM indicated that he wanted to include some modifications to the benchmark
include AJAX primitives and functionality.  Hopefully Stan will have some information soon
to share
on his recent exploits.

* We need to upgrade the benchmark to provide a more flexible deployemnt.  Right now all the
modules
are inter-related to some degree and have too strong of a dependency on each other.  I want
to break
the benchmark up in a way that you can deploy only the WebComponents if you want (Tomcat /
Jetty
testing) and that kind of  thing.

* JEE 5 improvements to exercise EJB 3.0 and the new persistence API.  OpenJPA will get engaged
soon
I hope so we should be ready for them.

If you are working on something or have some interesting information to share, send it in.

Cheers.

Matt