geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jules Gosnell <ju...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: Tomcat version in G1.1 for clustering
Date Mon, 24 Apr 2006 08:43:07 GMT
Jeff Genender wrote:

>Hi Matthew,
>
>Ultimately clustering should not be based on WADI directly, but for
>components that implement the session API interface.  We want to make
>clustering components pluggable, so there is no hard coded clustering agent.

With my WADI hat on:

Agreed - this is the correct approach - however, for reasons stated in
the related threads on this list, I believe that the proposed API has
been positioned at the wrong level of abstraction. As such, I believe
that it actually acts as a barrier to WADI's integration.

>I am unaware of WADI's status regarding its implementation of the
>session API.  Jules or Greg would need to comment on this.

I've given this a lot of consideration and come to the conclusion, that,
whilst I have every intention of WADI and Geronimo being integrated,
this integration is unlikely to occur via the proposed API in its
current form. I think that WADI will continue to go down the route of
integrating its front end directly with the tier in question, whilst
exposing its backend to Geronimo management facilities.

>We (Geronimo) will have a session clustering component that will be
>offered as a part of Geronimo that will implement the session API
>interface shortly. Its been a side project for a couple of weeks ;-)

With my Geronimo hat on:

Sounds interesting. Is the design discussion going on in public
somewhere or are you integrating an existing component? I am sure that
there are many people on the list who would be interested in participating.

>Relative to the Tomcat clustering, yes this is an interim capability to
>allow for clustering the web tier.  Although it will always be
>available, I believe we will have a more robust solution that works
>across all component in the near future.  Stay tuned ;-)

You bet :-)

Jules

>Jeff
>
>Matthew Jording wrote:
>

>>Jeff, Dave,
>>
>>   I would like to implement a Geronimo Cluster Management Web Service
>>and need some additional information on the advances of WADI
>>integration. The current clustering examples seem to only be concerned
>>with tomcat web tier clustering and doesn't seem to use WADI to
>>facilitate the management of the sessions.
>>
>>Thanks
>>Matt
>>

>>Jeff Genender wrote:
>>

>>>Dave,