geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat version in G1.1 for clustering
Date Wed, 19 Apr 2006 20:18:52 GMT
5.5.15,16,17 has some new features, like the JvmRouteBinderValve, that
will rewrite the session id for a new node when a node crashes.
This is an important feature. The coordination error that you ran into I
am not yet sure why it is happening, hence I can't comment on it, and I
don't know if it is a result of a code change or just a one time fluke.

I would make the same recommendation, to use 5.5.9 for 1.1 since 1.1 is
right around the corner.

And I will extend/commit my help to get 1.2/5.5.17 in a good shape,
including documentation and testing for the clustering piece.

Filip

Dave Colasurdo wrote:

> Jeff Genender wrote:
>> I would vote for not moving to 5.5.16 for 1.1.  IMHO, its too close.  We
>> did some preliminary testing for 5.5.15 and it seems ok...and we will
>> know in the next several days if its good to bake in to 1.1.
>
> Filip,
>
> How significant are the 5.5.15 bugs that you alluded to?  Or is this
> just a general request to use the latest level...
>
> Are the problems unique to clustering?
>
> Do you suspect the coordination error to be a code bug in 5.5.15?
> AFAICT, my setup is identical to 5.5.9..
>
> Would like your input on 5.5.9 -vs- 5.5.15..
>
> Thanks
> -Dave-
>
>> 5.5.9 is fine to stick with since its pretty stable and it just
>> works, and in the
>> event 5.5.15 causes any discomfort during testing, we are comfortable
>> that we can fall back on it.
>>
>> IIRC, the 5.5.16 issues had to do with cross context stuff that David
>> Jencks and I worked pretty diligently on to fix.  So I would probably be
>> apt to push a -1 on 5.5.16 for 1.1.
>>
>> Jeff
>>
>> Dave Colasurdo wrote:
>>> Hmmm..  What level of Tomcat does the community want to include in
>>> G1.1?
>>>
>>> Background...
>>>
>>> Tomcat 5.5.9 - current working level in G1.0 and G1.1.. Clustering
>>> works.. TCK is testing with this level..
>>>
>>> Tomcat 5.5.10-5.5.14 - clustering is broken
>>>
>>> Tomcat 5.5.15 - Clustering seems to work somewhat. We've encountered at
>>> least one bug. Filip (tomcat clustering developer) mentioned there are
>>> still some significant bugs in this level and advises us to move to
>>> 5.5.16.
>>>
>>> Tomcat 5.5.16 - Jeff has mentioned that he and David J had previously
>>> discovered some issues that required significant rework that he didn't
>>> want to tackle until G1.2..
>>>
>>> So...  Do we stick with 5.5.9 for G1.1 and move to 5.5.16+ in G1.2?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> -Dave-

If I

will work on