geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject support for shared libraries/classes in Geronimo 1.1
Date Fri, 14 Apr 2006 14:07:01 GMT

Dain added some initial support for shared libraries in 1.1 and (with
the help of David Jencks) I have a configuration and gbean to make the
feature available to applications to use.  I'll create a patch for this
today for Geronimo 1.1.

However, I have a question about how "public" we want this function to
be.  There has been some concern that we shouldn't encourage the use of
shared libraries.  The thought is that it is better to use the
repository and explicit dependencies.

If we include the gbean in the configuration for an assembly then the
any specified shared library(ies) or class directory(ies) must exist or
an exception is thrown.  At the moment I'm using var/shared/lib and
var/shared/classes as the defaults.

If we just add the gbean to the assemblies without the default libraries
then the user will have to update the configuration to use the feature
and specify the attributes for the libs or classes.  That isn't very
user friendly and doesn't provide a "default" location.  On the other
hand, adding in defaults requires that we also add in the empty
directories which is a bit of an advertisement to use them.

At the moment, I'm leaning toward adding the default directories.  Any
recommendations before I create the patch?

Joe

--
Joe Bohn
joe.bohn at earthlink.net