geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Hernan Cunico <hcun...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Long Path Proposal
Date Thu, 13 Apr 2006 15:09:31 GMT
I think we should try to make it *simple* for the final user. Having unpacked the jar creates
a mile
long path that makes it unpractical for anybody to follow, this is totally independent on
whether it
is supported or not by the OS. We don't need a "paragraph" to describe where a file is, right?

Seeing the Plan B I feel like we are ruling out Windows users by transferring them all these

limitations.

Can you expand on "in place deployment"? If I get it right, my first impression is that there
would
not be any direct association (by looking at the FS) between a directory and an application
served
by Geronimo. Second we could potentially gain some chars but we could equally loose some depending

how you organize your directories and apps. Who would like to have all the apps hanging right
from
the root

Anyway, I keep thinking simpler is better, of course, it is easier to say it than to fix it
;)

Cheers!
Hernan