geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: Embedded LDAP Server Viewer Portlet
Date Wed, 12 Apr 2006 04:45:17 GMT
Chris Cardona wrote:
> Hello Alex,
>
> Thanks for offering some help. My idea for this
> portlet is a simple way of viewing the contents of the
> ApacheDS. A tree widget will be used to navigate the
> entries and a table to list attributes of an entry. I
> also intend to add a way to do ldap searches and
> refesh data.
Nice! You could also use persistent search with JNDI notifications to
update your UI if other external clients change the DIT.  ApacheDS
supports this control.   Added it myself I think in 1.0-RC1.  We need to
get G up to date with the latest and greatest tho.
> If would be nice to include a way to add
> and modify entries. Not sure if ApacheDS includes APIs
> to accomplish such tasks (e.g. process an ldif file
> for adding entries, etc).
There is a server side JNDI provider that mimics an on the wire LDAP
JNDI provider but taps directly into the database for requests.  But I'd
recommend just using simple JNDI LDAP connectivity with a local socket
to the server just for now until some of the classloader issues are
clear between ADS and G.  If designed properly you can just plugin the
serverside provider in place of the SUN JNDI provider later.
> Please let me know if you
> have other ideas for this portlet so we can coordinate
> work.

Sure will do.  Some ideas that occurred to me are doing LDIF imports and
exports.  This is pretty easy to do once you have the UI setup though.
Keep me updated on your progress.  This is exciting.

Alex