geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From John Sisson <jrsis...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Long Path Proposal
Date Sat, 08 Apr 2006 02:21:42 GMT
Dain Sundstrom wrote:
> I'd like to propose the following solution to the windows long path
> problem.  Before, I go into the proposal I'd like to make sure we have
> a common understanding of the problem.
>
> Windows has a limit of 256 characters for a file including the full
> path and the file name.  In the Geronimo 1.1 branch we moved the
> unpacked configurations from the config-store/# directory into the
> repository.  Some of our configurations contain very long internal
> path, and with the addition of the repository path we have exceeded
> the windows limit.
>
> I believe we have two issues to address: the long internal paths of
> our applications make development of geronimo on windows difficult,
> and the use of unpacked archives in our repository makes use of the
> server on windows difficult.
>

> Geronimo applications long internal paths:
>
> Aaron is going to look at jaring up the WEB-INF/classes and the
> compiled jsp pages in our war files.
> David Jencks is going to look at either removing the generated web
> service classes or putting those classes in a nested jar file.
>

> Unpacked archives in the repository:
>
> The solution is to not place unpacked archives in our repository.  I
> (dain) am going to look at using a class loader that can read from
> classes and resources from jars nested in jars.  Assuming we can find
> or write a class loader such a class loader, we will need to assure
> that Tomcat and Jetty can work from a packed archive.
Also need to ensure/test that a security manager policy file can grant
permissions for all JARS in a CAR or individual nested JARs using a
codebase URL in the policy file so users have the same level of control
they would have had in the config-store (at the same time solving the
issue with the policy files needing to be changed due to the numbered
directories in the config-store):

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/geronimo-user/200602.mbox/%3c20060210144645.87917.qmail@web54302.mail.yahoo.com%3e

> Of course packed archives won't for users that want to hack jsp pages,
> and for them I think we need to add support for deploying unpacked
> archives *inplace*.  This means that we won't copy any files from the
> unpacked application to the repository.  I also think we need to work
> out any remaining bugs in the hot-deploy directory as this will be the
> other common way to deploy applications.
Being able to support inplace deployment would be a bonus for web
developers as it would speed up their develop/test/debug cycle.  Agree
we still need hot-deploy.

In the mail thread (
http://www.mail-archive.com/dev%40geronimo.apache.org/msg20272.html ),
Paul says he uses softlinking so he can edit his JSPs without having to
copy files etc.
AFAIK on Windows softlink support has some issues and I don't hear of
many average users using it (
http://shell-shocked.org/article.php?id=284 ), so supporting inplace
deployment sounds like it would be valuable to windows users.

> What do you think?

Wish I had a Mac... :-)

John