geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Hogstrom <m...@hogstrom.org>
Subject Re: Geronimo peak performance
Date Fri, 07 Apr 2006 15:48:43 GMT
I'm going to start externalizing the data as it evolves and Adopt Aaron's progresive disclosure

method of publishing.

As a first attempt to get us n the same page here is a drawing of my configuration:

http://people.apache.org/~hogstrom/performance/PerformanceTestBed.pdf

There is a png as well if that's better for you but it takes longer to download.  What does
your
test bed look like?

Also, in my testing I'm not receiving any errors (non reported any way).  I think we need
to be
careful with results that are failing.  I'm assuming your running on a 4-way.  I'd like to
work on
resolving the problems your having so we'll be comparing similar data.

Matt

Maxim Berkultsev wrote:
> [...]
>         at org.apache.geronimo.jetty.JettyServletHolder.handle(Ljavax.servlet.Se
> rvletRequest;Ljavax.servlet.ServletResponse;)V(JettyServletHolder.java:99)
>         at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.WebApplicationHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(
> Ljavax.servlet.ServletRequest;Ljavax.servlet.ServletResponse;)V(WebApplicationHa
> ndler.java:830)
>         at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.JSR154Filter.doFilter(Ljavax.servlet.Servle
> tRequest;Ljavax.servlet.ServletResponse;Ljavax.servlet.FilterChain;)V(JSR154Filt
> er.java:170)
>         at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.WebApplicationHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(
> Ljavax.servlet.ServletRequest;Ljavax.servlet.ServletResponse;)V(WebApplicationHa
> ndler.java:821)
>         at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.WebApplicationHandler.dispatch(Ljava.lang.S
> tring;Ljavax.servlet.http.HttpServletRequest;Ljavax.servlet.http.HttpServletResp
> onse;Lorg.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder;I)V(WebApplicationHandler.java:471
> )
>         at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(Ljava.lang.String;Lja
> va.lang.String;Lorg.mortbay.http.HttpRequest;Lorg.mortbay.http.HttpResponse;)V(O
> ptimized Method)
>         at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.WebApplicationContext.handle(Ljava.lang.Str
> ing;Ljava.lang.String;Lorg.mortbay.http.HttpRequest;Lorg.mortbay.http.HttpRespon
> se;)V(Optimized Method)
>         at org.mortbay.http.HttpContext.handle(Lorg.mortbay.http.HttpRequest;Lor
> g.mortbay.http.HttpResponse;)V(Optimized Method)
>         at org.mortbay.http.HttpServer.service(Lorg.mortbay.http.HttpRequest;Lor
> g.mortbay.http.HttpResponse;)Lorg.mortbay.http.HttpContext;(Optimized Method)
>         at org.mortbay.http.HttpConnection.service(Lorg.mortbay.http.HttpRequest
> ;Lorg.mortbay.http.HttpResponse;)Lorg.mortbay.http.HttpContext;(Optimized Method
> )
>         at org.mortbay.http.HttpConnection.handleNext()Z(Optimized Method)
>
> *******************************
> -----------------------------------
>
> To run experiments I was using my desktop with default Geronimo
> installation + jRockit 1.4.2_04.
>
> How one can avoid the problems with illegal response code when
> multiple threads are in work? Have I omitted some issue in Daytrader
> configuration before starting the experiment?
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Maxim Berkultsev, Intel Middleware Products Division
>

> 2006/4/5, Matt Hogstrom wrote:
>
>>Maxim,
>>
>>Thanks for sharing your results.  I have a whole set of numbers that I've been sitting
on.  My tests
>>don't use JMeter so if you would like to share your setup for that I'll incorporate
it into the
>>DayTrader tree.
>>
>>All the tests I've run were with a fixed number of users of 100 with 10ms think time.
 My goal was
>>to stress the server and see if it would stay up and how it would perform.  The system
I'm testing
>>on is an Intel 2 x 3.0Ghz Potomac System.  Each processor has 8MB L3 Cache.  My tests
were conducted
>>with the Sun JDK (1.4.2_b09).  The Database system is on a separate box.  I'm using
DB2 as Oracle
>>has some clause in their license that does not allow publish of benchmark results
without their
>>express permission.
>>
>>See inline
>>
>>I'm rerunning some tests this afternoon as it looks like we're not comparing teh same
things.  I am
>>using an internal Load Generator and would like to move something Open Source so we
can all compare
>>the same numbers.
>>
>>Matt
>>
>>Maxim Berkultsev wrote:
>>
>>>Hi, all!
>>>
>>>Geronimo peak performance is under test and let me share some results.
>>>
>>>I was using JMeter and Daytrader web primitives to measure throughput
>>>for a fixed number of simultaneously woking virtual users.
>>>
>>>However I've realized that the results for the equal numbers of users
>>>in each scenario do not look valuable and tried to find some peak
>>>values for throughput depending on the number of users. It looks as if
>>>such peak values are reached when the number of users are minimal as
>>>well as the peak exists at some 'optimal' number of users.
>>>
>>>I've used two scenarios.
>>>
>>>Example 1: For scenario PingServlet2SessionEJB from Daytrader web
>>>primitives I've got max througput (~14670) for a minimal number of
>>>users - 5 with average time per single request equals to 17. The table
>>>below contains triples (number of users, average request time,
>>>throughput) for different number of users.
>>>
>>>----------------
>>>----------------
>>>----------------
>>>----------------
>>>100 447 11028
>>
>>  100 168 582   << I'm confused by this.  Actually all these numbers are way
higher than I'm
>>achieving.  Can you shed some light on your configuration?  Also, I assume your not
getting 404's or
>>something?
>>
>>>----------------
>>>150 588 10770
>>>----------------
>>>200 634 10444
>>>----------------
>>>
>>>It looks as if the peak is reached when a number of users is minimal.
>>>
>>>Example 2: In scenario PingServlet2TwoPhase the throughput grows to
>>>some saturation value and then begins to decrease. The maximal values
>>>(~1300-1350) for throughput covers a wide interval between >10 and 150
>>>virtual users. Here are the triples' table (number of users, average
>>>request time, throughput):

>>>5, 390, 764
>>>10, 492, 1207
>>>50, 2250, 1314
>>>100, 4380, 1356
>>
>>  100  2096    46  << Again...something is out of sorts.  Can you run Direct
Mode with 5000 Users