geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Update on Long Paths
Date Fri, 14 Apr 2006 01:24:27 GMT
Prasad got the patch working on all web applications.  The next big
offenders left are the auto generated WebServices wrapper class and
the precompiled JSP pages.  David Jencks has a patch for the
WebServices class, but we are waiting to get the TCK running so we
can judge the impact.  I disabled precompiled JSP pages, as they
didn't work anyway.  We generate the classes and compile them, but we
never added them to the class path and we are not merging generated-
web.xml into our web.xml.  I'm hoping Prasad has time to tackle this
one.

With these patches in, except for the WS class, the longest paths
including server name is 224 and 217 characters:

geronimo-1.1-SNAPSHOT/repository/geronimo/daytrader-derby-jetty-
streamer-client/1.1-SNAPSHOT/daytrader-derby-jetty-streamer-
client-1.1-SNAPSHOT.car/activemq/activemq-ra/3.2.4-SNAPSHOT/rar/
activemq-optional-3.2.4-SNAPSHOT.jar
geronimo-1.1-SNAPSHOT/repository/geronimo/webconsole-jetty/1.1-
SNAPSHOT/webconsole-jetty-1.1-SNAPSHOT.car/geronimo-console-
framework-1.1-SNAPSHOT.war/WEB-INF/config/services/
PortletDefinitionRegistryService.properties

These will become 179 and 189 characters when we drop -SNAPSHOT from
all of the version numbers.  I'm also hoping we can change the name
daytrader-derby-jetty-streamer-client to something shorter.

This is a lot better and will allow for at least 50 characters of
head room, which I hope is plenty for windows users.

As for next steps, I'd like to get the hot deploy service working
better.  With the addition of the in-place deployment feature from
Gianny and the timestamp I added to the configuration, we should be
able to write a much better service.  Once we have the better hot
deploy service, we will be able to implement the flat deployment
model that Hernan and others have suggested.

-dain