geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul McMahan" <paulmcma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Release 1.1 - Question about Java 1.5 Warning message
Date Fri, 28 Apr 2006 14:48:40 GMT
On 4/27/06, Aaron Mulder <ammulder@alumni.princeton.edu> wrote:
> FYI, if we distribute DayTrader as a plugin, we can tag it as running
> on JDK 1.4.* only, and then you won't be able to install it into a
> server running on 1.5.
>
> I think we should move the JDK 1.5 warning to a GBean we put in the
> j2ee-corba configuration, so if that configuration is started for any
> reason it will spew out the warning if running on JDK 1.5.

Long term this sounds like the best idea to me.  If the gbean were
implemented in a generic way it could be reused by other
applications/components that have specific runtime reqs.  They could
pass a list of properties (using CSVs if needed) to the gbean that get
compared (via substring) to the JVM system properties, along with the
warning text to emit if there's a mismatch.

e.g. something like:

    <gbean name="RuntimeCheck"
                 class="org.apache.geronimo.system.util.RuntimeCheckGBean">
        <attribute name="systemProperties">
            java.runtime.version=1.3,1.4.2
            os.arch=i386
            os.name=Linux
        </attribute>
        <attribute name="warningText">
           The runtime environment does not meet the requirements of
this application:
           {$systemProperties}
          Serialization errors and JNI problems may occur.
        </attribute>
    </gbean>

Could that be useful to an application like daytrader?  If there's
interest in this approach (or something similar) then I am happy to
volunteer.