geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From anita kulshreshtha <a_kuls...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: m2 conversion : configurations
Date Wed, 19 Apr 2006 19:42:06 GMT
Comments inline..

--- David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Apr 19, 2006, at 9:00 AM, anita kulshreshtha wrote:
>
> > David,
> >      Thanks! More comments inline..
> >
> > --- David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >> geronimo.dependency
> >> assumes
> >> assume
> >>
> >> yes.
> >> no
> >> loaded?
> >> yes.   The secret is in the defaultEnvironment attributes of the
> >> various builders, which add the necessary parents for each type of
> >> j2ee artifact.  For instance the jetty builder adds jetty,
> connector
> >>
> >> builder adds connector, etc etc.
> >     Ideally , if a user wanted to package a car for a simple
> > application like jsp-examples, he/she should not be required to
> know
> > all about the internal configuraitons? The user should be able to
> > include a single car as a dependency in pom.xml/project.xml for
> > standard servers like j2ee-*-server, web-jms-tomcat-server(?) etc.
>
> For simple apps the user should not have to include any explicit
> dependencies/imports at all: the deployers should figure out what is
>
> needed and add it for them.  This is what the defaultEnvironment/
> defaultParentId is for, and as far as I know it works well.

Ah... I remember defaultParentId from TomcatModuleBuilder, it works
fine.

 Do you
> know of any problems with this?

     You are correct. I just tested that all the dependencies on
various cars are not needed in the project.xml. Should they be removed?
I hope nobody uses it as a sample. They will not be needed in M2
anyway.

One minor problem I haven't had time

> to fix is that the axis/ws dependencies are added to all web and ejb
>
> apps whether or not they are needed: they should be added by the web
>
> services builder, but there is currently no way to do this.

     yep, it would be nice to have this in future..

Thanks
Anita

> thanks
> david jencks
>

> > Thanks
> > Anita
> >
> >  You can suppress these defaults in
> >>
> >> case you have special requirements by using the
> >> suppressDefaultEnvironment element in environment.
> >>
> >> In 1.0/1.2 this is not as well developed or consistent as in 1.1:
> the
> >>
> >> builders have attributes defaultParentId.
> >>
> >> thanks
> >> david jencks

> >> server,

In

> [...]