geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From anita kulshreshtha <a_kuls...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Servlet GBeans for Tomcat
Date Tue, 04 Apr 2006 15:30:30 GMT
Comments inline...

--- Joe Bohn <joe.bohn@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Anita,
>
> Can you provide some more details on this?  Is there a JIRA
> containing a
> patch with the changes?

   Yes, The G-1035 has all the required patches. Please try them out
and provide your valuable feedback. These might have become stale. I
will update them soon.

 Some more comments/questions in-line below:

> anita kulshreshtha wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >     An implementation of servlet GBeans for Tomcat is now
> available. I
> > have discussed this with Jeff and would like your comments about
> > including it in the upcoming release. To give some background, the
> > current Tomcat integration is at module level. This implementation
> will
> > provide finer grained integration, i.e. at the servlet level. This
> will
> > provide access to Tomcat servlets. This is a requirement as per
> > JSR77.3.17.
> There is already a Servlet object extending J2EEManagedObject ....
> org.apache.geronimo.management.Servlet.   Are you talking about a
> different interface or the Tomcat implementation of that interface?

    Yes, this is a Tomcat implementation of o.a.g.m.Servlet interface.

> >      This implementation also provides access to tomcat performance
> > statistics via JSR77. Some of these statistics are needed for the
> admin
> > console. This is also required by JSR77.6.32
> >      Another feature is a webapp which can be used to access tomcat
> > internals, i.e. all the Mbeans! It can be added to the applications
> > directory for now. We can consider merging it with either the debug
> or
> > admin console at a later time.
> How does webapp differ from the JMXExplorer that is still waiting to
> be
> integrated in GERONIMO-1163?

     AFAIK, the JMXExplorer only deals with Geronimo GBeans and MBeans.
It does not know about Tomcat MBeans. The Tomcat MBeans are mostly
invisible to Geronimo, except for the few exposed by GBeans. This tool
will be useful for people adding new functionality to
TomcatWebContainer or to those who just want to know all the details!

> >     From a user's perspective it will make both web containers have
> > similar look and feel.
> But your change only includes the tomcat implementation for now ...
> correct?
    Jetty already provides a fine grained integration.