geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Jacek Laskowski" <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>
Subject Re: Questions about the packaging plugin
Date Sun, 09 Apr 2006 09:36:07 GMT
On 4/6/06, anita kulshreshtha <a_kulshre@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Dain,
>   Thanks! I need to sort out the dependencies anyway. IIUC, currently
> we are including the dependencies referenced by the plans, i.e. the
> ones needed  by GBeans. We are including few extra ones. The maven
> transitive dependency list is very large compared to what we add
> currently. I think we should only add the dependencies needed for the
> GBeans.For example if we have a GBean :
> <gbean name="ConfigurationManager"
> class="org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.EditableConfigurationManagerImpl">
>     we should add geronimo-kernel as a dependency.

Hi,

I don't know whether it works or not, but I've come up with a weird
idea. I've been struggling with it for a while and since I could not
yet test it out I'll describe it here.

The idea boils down to using the scope - provided - for all our
modules' dependencies. I do mean 'all'. As transitive dependency
mechanism doesn't apply in this case  (when the scope is 'provided'),
it sets up Maven2 not to download other transitive dependencies and it
 *might* mimic the work of M1 that only downloads the dependencies
listed in the pom (project.xml). We could list all of the dependencies
in the parent pom as compile (default) and override some in the
modules.

The caveat is that we will likely duplicate/do the work Maven2 could
do for us, i.e. maintain the transitive dependencies, but once we have
migrated to M2, we could think about it again how to work it out. It's
a kind of a workaround to finish the migration.

Does it really seem to be 'weird'? Could it work?

> Anita

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski