geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Supporting XBean services within the GBean kernel
Date Sat, 18 Mar 2006 03:44:38 GMT
> James, you always ask the hardest questions :)

:)

> On Mar 17, 2006, at 1:00 AM, James Strachan wrote:
[snip]

> The short answer is not without a lot of work and re-architecting of
> the Geronimo kernel.  My rough plan is to not do a full XBean
> integration until Geronimo 2.0, but in the 1.x tree I would like to
> continue to simplify and add more features from xbean.  Specifically,
> I would like to integrate the xbean-reflect package for building
> attributes into Geronimo.  This will allow us to build arbitrarily
> complex attribute values which can contain references to other
> GBeans.  I have already added an optional flag to turn of proxing of
> references between GBeans and hope to have that always on in Geronimo
> 1.2.  I doubt we will be able to add xbean-spring to Geronimo until 2.0.
>
> > Something like a GBean which boots up the XBean kernel and exposes
> > all the registered services as GBeans would do the trick. It
> > shouldn't be too hard right?
>
> Unfortunately, it just isn't the way Geronimo works.

You're right, it probably is better to wait for 2.0; though I'm sure
we can come up with some kind of solution for 1.x even if it is a bit
crappy. e.g. previous GBean integrations of ActiveMQ were pretty much
one crappy GBean that created all of the ActiveMQ POJOs and just
registered a single GBean with Geronimo; so worst case I'm sure we can
do something similar where we have a simple XBeanGBean that might
create oodles of POJOs, but just exposes itself as a single GBean; I
was secretly hoping we could do something a little better than that -
but even that, I'd be OK with it as a tactical solution until the 2.0
goodness comes along.

e.g. deploy any Spring/XBean XML config file as a single GBean would
be pretty useful; even if its not that granular

But certainly, 2.0 is where the fun's gonna start :)

--

James
-------