geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Maxim Berkultsev" <maxim.berkult...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: daytrader benchmark results
Date Thu, 16 Mar 2006 15:47:10 GMT
Matt,

thank you for clarification.

I've checked JMeter and as for me it looks valid to get some performance
estimations.
By the way, if there is any standard configuration to test (I mean
parameters for JMeter workload session like number of threads, loop count,
etc.), please let me know.

--
Best regards,
Maxim Berkultsev, Intel Middleware Products Division

2006/3/16, Matt Hogstrom <matt@hogstrom.org>:

> Maxim Berkultsev wrote:
> > Hi Matt,
> >
> > thanks a lot for the reply. A few more questions...
> >

> >>The Y-Axis represents transactions per second.
> >

> > What is this value - is it a general magnitude like time or is it
related to
> > the type of request which is under study, (i.e. number of JDBCRead
> > transactions per second)?
> >

> >>All the TPS metrics were gathered from the client.  The goal was to get
the

> > server to 100% CPU utilization.
> >
> > Before your reply I suppose that Web Server Manager portlet was used to
> > perform monitoring, please see the post
> >
> > http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@geronimo.apache.org/msg18979.html
> >

> No, the results are based on external requests per second by the
client.  Not by
> the servlet mentioned in the article.
>
> > So the question is - do you use any additional client application (not
> > included in Daytrader), which provides workload for Geronimo?
> >

> I use a load driver call WebSphere Studio Simulator.  This is a tool  that
> have had setup on my test environment for some time.  At some point I'd
like to
> move to JMeter or some other load driver but I found the Java based load
> generators take too much compute resource so right now I'm using a C based
one.

> > Thank you.
> >
> > --
> > Best regards,
> > Maxim Berkultsev, Intel Middleware Products Division
> >
> > Matt Hogstrom wrote:
> >
> >>Hi Maxim,
> >>
> >>Comments inline...

Geronimo

> > published at

> > immediate questions are:

> >>The Y-Axis represents transactions per second.

> >>One problem with performance measurments is that they typically incite
many

> > people to claim victory or cry foul depending on the results.  This is
also

> >>complicated by the fact that many commercial products have a no
benchmark

> > publish clause in their licenses.  In order to have something to compare
> >
> >>Geronimo to as well as avoid the inevitable fallout of naming a
comparison

> > point I did a series of measurments on other Open Source and commercial
> >
> >>AppServer products.  I thook these results and created the competitive
> >
> > target metric.
> >
> >>The competitive target metric is simply my estimation of a respectable
> >
> > performance measurement.  Meaning, as we achieve that metric one should
be
> > happy
> >
> >>with the results.
> >>
> >>Note that these numbers are pretty old.  I have a new set of data that
I've