geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Maxim Berkultsev" <maxim.berkult...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: daytrader benchmark results
Date Wed, 15 Mar 2006 15:10:12 GMT
Hi Matt,

thanks a lot for the reply. A few more questions...

>The Y-Axis represents transactions per second.

What is this value - is it a general magnitude like time or is it related to
the type of request which is under study, (i.e. number of JDBCRead
transactions per second)?

>All the TPS metrics were gathered from the client.  The goal was to get the
server to 100% CPU utilization.

Before your reply I suppose that Web Server Manager portlet was used to
perform monitoring, please see the post

http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@geronimo.apache.org/msg18979.html

So the question is - do you use any additional client application (not
included in Daytrader), which provides workload for Geronimo?

Thank you.

--
Best regards,
Maxim Berkultsev, Intel Middleware Products Division

Matt Hogstrom wrote:
>Hi Maxim,
>
>Comments inline...
>
>Maxim Berkultsev wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I've looked through Daytrader workload results and analysis for Geronimo
published at

>> http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27006724
>>
>> For the bar diagrams, which show Geronimo and 'target' server indicators,
immediate questions are:

>> - what is the measure unit for values in Y-axis?
>
>The Y-Axis represents transactions per second.
>
>> - how are the values for 'target' performance received?
>
>One problem with performance measurments is that they typically incite many
people to claim victory or cry foul depending on the results.  This is also
>complicated by the fact that many commercial products have a no benchmark
publish clause in their licenses.  In order to have something to compare
>Geronimo to as well as avoid the inevitable fallout of naming a comparison
point I did a series of measurments on other Open Source and commercial
>AppServer products.  I thook these results and created the competitive
target metric.

>The competitive target metric is simply my estimation of a respectable
performance measurement.  Meaning, as we achieve that metric one should be
happy
>with the results.
>
>Note that these numbers are pretty old.  I have a new set of data that I've
been saying will be out for a while.  I guess its time to actually make that
happen.
>So, for purposes of consumption I would wait a few days for the new report
to surface.  We'll post it on our site.

>> Also, could someone clarify if the performance data was collected on a
client or a server side?

>All the TPS metrics were gathered from the client.  The goal was to get the
server to 100% CPU utilization.

>Also, if you guys are willing we could use some of the newer Potomac
3.6Ghzchips:)