geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From lichtner <licht...@bway.net>
Subject Incubations
Date Fri, 17 Mar 2006 18:23:49 GMT

I wanted to see what this incubation problem is all about, so I took a
look at the web site http://incubator.apache.org/resolution.html .

It says that the B.o.D. has determined that it's in "the best interests of
the Foundation" to create this incubator PMC charged with "providing
guidance", to help products engender "their own collaborative community",
and "educating" new developers.

So you do not want to get incubated by Apache unless:

- You care deeply about the Apache Foundation.
- You project needs "guidance."
- You need your project to have a "community."

Philosophy eventually rises up to the surface. This resolution may explain
why we are seeing so many emails about ActiveMQ graduating etc.

The Apache Foundation is generous to provide resources to open-source
projects, but this is not an entirely selfless act. If your project
consists of one person, it does not qualify as a good ASF project because
it doesn't have a "community", for example. If your project doesn't
believe in democracy then it's not a good ASF project.

Personally, I would not get a project incubated to help ASF be all it can
be. I don't necessarily care about ASF, I do care about the Apache httpd
and the other projects which are hosted by ASF but which might as well be
hosted somewhere else.

I think that if Geronimo is at odds with ASF's idealistic, abstract
motivations it should pack up its code and move somewhere else where it
can focus on coding. If they are only staying for the free services then
perhaps IBM can donate those.

Not to mention that the project is so big it could have its own
foundation ...