geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Summary?
Date Tue, 14 Mar 2006 02:54:59 GMT

On Mar 9, 2006, at 5:59 AM, Jules Gosnell wrote:

> David Blevins wrote:
>
>> Sorry, was referring to this thread.  Seems like it's winding
>> down  and just looking for a clear idea of what the current
>> thinking is.
>>
> David,
>
> since you are here - a few SFSB questions...
>
> what provisions does the EJB spec make for timing out of SFSBs, if
> any ? what metadata does this require associated with each session ?

What I can recal is that you can't passivate a stateful bean in mid-
transaction.  You must activate a stateful bean if a client attempts
to invoke it and the instance has not yet been timed out.  And unlike
Entities, Stateful session bean data isn't required to survive a
server crash or restart.

> what provisions/requirements over and above these does OpenEJB make/
> have ?
> Aside from lifecycle management, retrieval and timing out, what
> other requirements might OpenEJB have for SFSB management ?

Nothing I can think of.  Maybe you are looking for something very
specific.

A notification before a passivation (ejbPassivate()/@PrePassivate)
and another after activation (ejbActivate()/@PostActivate).

> Is it possible for one client to pass the handle of an SFSB to
> another ? Does the spec touch on this ? Does it ever happen ?

I know that per spec, the client identity cannot change mid-
transaction.  Aside from that we allow it.

> Are Local SFSBs to be considered Serialisable/Passivatable/
> Migratable or not ?

I think you may be thinking that a client using a Local vs Remote
interface to access a stateful bean has a different impact on the
stateful bean's lifecycle.  The lifecycle is the same regardless of
how a client accesses it.  In other words, there is no such thing as
a local or remote bean, just local or remote reference to beans.

> and finally :
>
> Would it be simple to change OpenEJB to use an SFSB handle that
> included an ID to a 'SuperSession' (Object containing all Session
> objects pertaining to a single client for a given Server) along
> with an ID to particular 'SubSession' (The SFSB itself) within this
> 'SuperSession', instead of whatever scheme you currently use ?

That wouldn't be simple as we don't have any concept of provisioning
client ids aside from the optional security identity associated with
incoming calls.  In general the spec isn't really strict on the
server's view of a client, it's more focused on a client's view of a
bean (e.g. server).  That is to say, beans have strict and spelled
out identity rules whereas client's do not.

We could invent a universal client id concept but it would be a fair
amount of work to reconcile that concept across the various ways
people can invoke stateful beans; IIOP+IDL, IIOP+Remote interface,
Custom protocol + Remote interface, Local interface.  Using just
Local interfaces, is the client id:
  - The id of the servlet or ejb
  - The id of the war or ejb-jar
  - The id of the ear (if there is one)
  - The id of the VM

Remote interfaces really get you in trouble as they have the same
questions, plus they can be invoked by j2ee app clients as well as
non-j2ee java clients, or even non-java clients via IDL/IIOP.

I guess I'm not sure at what level you are thinking when you say the
word "client" or what you'd be looking to get out of the concept.
That'd probably be the most productive way to look at the concept --
otherwise it becomes one of those existentialist "what is a
component" type of things.

> looking forward to some interesting answers...

Hope they help!

-David