geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Why wrap a WebServiceContainer with a StoredObject?
Date Mon, 27 Mar 2006 21:28:53 GMT

On Mar 27, 2006, at 12:58 PM, Conrad O'Dea wrote:

> Howdy,
>

> In the AxisBuilder, when the configurePOJO method constructs an
> AxisWebServiceContainer it is set as an attribute in a GBeanData
> object but is also wrapped in a StoredObject:
>
> targetGBean.setAttribute("webServiceContainer", new StoredObject
> (axisWebServiceContainer));
> // Hack!
>
> It's been commented as a hack and I'm just wondering if anyone
> knows why it was done like that.  This is causing me a problem as
> the Celtix based WebServiceContainer that I am building contains a
> reference to an active Celtix transport which does not take kindly
> to being serialized.
>
> Is the wrapping of the WebServiceContainer with a StoredObject
> something that can be changed easily?

The idea behind the connection between the web deployer and the web
service deployer is that each will configure part of a gbean via a
GBeanData instance.  I assumed that if you changed web service
provider you'd need a different gbean for it for each of jetty and
tomcat.

So, the stored object is a way to get the rather complicated yet
serializable axis configuration objects from deploy time to run time:
the gbean  attributes all have to be serializable.

I think what you will need to do is to write new gbeans for celtix.
That will let you store the necessary information in the gbeans in an
optimal-for-celtix way.  In particular I suspect that you may want to
wrap the transport in a gbean and provide a gbean reference from the
web service gbean (that I'm telling you to write 2 of, one for jetty
and one for tomcat) to that transport gbean.  When the web service
gbean starts, it can construct whatever it needs to from its
attributes and references and in particular insert the transport into
whatever other data structures need it.

Hope this makes at least minimal sense :-)

david jencks