geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Using non-Sun JNDI/RMI service provider
Date Fri, 10 Mar 2006 16:24:08 GMT

On Mar 10, 2006, at 7:36 AM, Pavlenko, Andrey A wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> I want to configure Geronimo to use non-Sun JNDI/RMI service provider.
>
> But as I can see, the name of the initial context factory is
> hardcoded in the sources so it looks I can't customize it in any way.
>
> Is there a way I can plug my provider, and if not, can we think
> about how this customization can be implemented?
>
> The following is the list of sources containing hardcoded name of
> the provider:
>

> modules/client/src/java/org/apache/geronimo/client/
> StaticJndiContextPlugin.java:56:        System.setProperty
> ("java.naming.factory.initial",
> "com.sun.jndi.rmi.registry.RegistryContextFactory");
>
> modules/naming/src/test/org/apache/geronimo/naming/geronimo/
> GeronimoRootContextTest.java:33:        System.setProperty
> ("java.naming.factory.initial",
> "com.sun.jndi.rmi.registry.RegistryContextFactory");
>
> modules/naming/src/test/org/apache/geronimo/naming/java/
> AbstractContextTest.java:48:        System.setProperty
> ("java.naming.factory.initial",
> "com.sun.jndi.rmi.registry.RegistryContextFactory");
>
> modules/naming/src/test/org/apache/geronimo/naming/java/
> ThreadContextTest.java:53:        System.setProperty
> ("java.naming.factory.initial",
> "com.sun.jndi.rmi.registry.RegistryContextFactory");
>
> modules/system/src/test/org/apache/geronimo/system/properties/
> NamingPropertiesTest.java:11:    private static final String
> NAMING_FACTORY_INITIAL =
> "com.sun.jndi.rmi.registry.RegistryContextFactory";

I can never keep straight exactly what this setting does :-) Note
that all but the first are in tests.  Do you need to change those too
or just the  app client setting which is the only one used at runtime?

The app client (runtime) use should be easy to eliminate by adding a
copy of the NamingProperties gbean from the rmi-naming configuration
plan to the client-system plan.  You'd still have to rebuild the
configurations to get the new value since at this time we can't
override gbean attributes in the first-loaded plan.  We could look
into adding another configuration for the app client that included
the NamingProperties and SystemProperties gbeans similar to the
server rmi-naming configuration: then you could override the
properties in a client-config.xml

thanks
david jencks