geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: 1.1 progress
Date Mon, 20 Mar 2006 20:54:43 GMT

On Mar 20, 2006, at 12:16 PM, Aaron Mulder wrote:

>> On Mar 20, 2006, at 11:43 AM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:
>>
>>> Wouldn't it be cleaner if we just walked the tree using plain old
>>> java objects?
>>
>> I don't understand how the console works well enough to judge.  In
>> particular I'm not sure if doing this would break the apparent
>> capability of the console to work on a remote kernel using proxies.
>> I'm hoping Aaron will tell us that we can use POJOs :-)
>
> I'm not sure what you're trying to do and what the new capabilities
> are.  The objects in the "management space" are based on JSR-77, which
> returns String ObjectNames for all navigation.  E.g. If you want to
> get the servers for a domain, you get a String array back.  This
> interface is defined in the spec, though as an abstract/UML set of
> functions not as a specific Java class/interface.
>
> The KernelManagementHelper has a ton of helper methods so you can e.g.
> pass in the domain and it will pass you back a server array, where it
> calls the String/ObjectName getter method under the covers and then
> uses the ProxyManager to create proxies and populates the return array
> with those.  So the point of the ManagementHelper is so you can avoid
> ever using ObjectNames in the portlet code -- you give it a proxy and
> it gives you back proxies.
>
> A typical case where this is relevant is if you want to locate a JDBC
> driver JAR or JDBC driver class, so you need all the available
> repositories for the server (so you start with either a server name or
> J2EEServer proxy or something like that and need to navigate to all
> repositories associated with that [and only that] server).  Or,
> similarly, if you want to see all the web connectors for all the web
> containers in the server.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean when you say you want to use POJOs instead.
>  Can you explain?

I think we are basically thinking of trying to eliminate using
strings or names as intermediate navigation aids and be able to get
the child objects directly from the parents.  I think you suggested
doing this early on in the console and I objected :-)... I'm
reconsidering.  I don't really see how this would work with remote
kernels, but maybe either it could work or its not important.

thanks
david jencks