geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: ActiveMQ Graduation From Incubator
Date Thu, 16 Mar 2006 00:27:10 GMT
If you ask me what my opinion on OpenEJB's future or James' opinion
on ActiveMQ's future, we'll both probably tell you TLP is a good goal
eventually.

We've more or less been running as TLPs in relation to Geronimo for
the past two plus years already, just at Codehaus.  We've seen how
that plays out and we'd like to try a much more unified front for a
while and see what shakes out.  We're all ready for a change in the
status-quo.

The Geronimo world is awkward and unbalanced.  We have too tight
integration with OpenEJB such that the standalone version of that
completely disappeared.  We have too little integration with ActiveMQ
such that the things you can do with standalone ActiveMQ you can't do
with the Geronimo ActiveMQ.  We have parts of Geronimo which could
very well become separately reusable components, like the transaction
manager or the XBean code.  We're aren't successfully leveraging each
other's communities to the fullest.  All in all, we don't make
decisions together and lean on each other as much as we could.

I'd really like to see all our projects rolled up, balanced out, then
split up again along possibly different lines with potentially more
standalone pieces than we see now.

TLP is a good goal, but I really see value in the journey.

-David