geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: Supporting XBean services within the GBean kernel
Date Fri, 17 Mar 2006 18:19:00 GMT
James, you always ask the hardest questions :)

On Mar 17, 2006, at 1:00 AM, James Strachan wrote:

> I fell for the charms of XBean a long time ago; both ActiveMQ and
> ServiceMix have been using it as its primary configuration
> mechanism for some time. I recently XBean-ified Jetty too which
> took about an hour and can currently configure most of Jetty.
> Incidentally there's currently a real simple file system based
> deployer that can walk the file system building up classpath trees
> and booting up any XBean or Spring applications it finds. e.g. the
> following test repository boots up ActiveMQ fully configured via
> XBean. (This deployer could use some work to be able to deal with
> service and classpath dependencies, to allow graphs rather than
> just trees to be used)
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/xbean/trunk/xbean-server/
> src/test/repository/
>
> The GBean integration of ActiveMQ has always been pretty simple and
> limited; I"ve always wanted full rich integration where every
> single transport connector, network connector, journal
> configuration, thread pool, queue, topic, connection & subscription
> are all richly available to the GBean kernel & management subsystem
> etc. We kinda have that today with a combination of XBean and JMX;
> but it doesn't really integrate yet with the GBean kernel.
>
> So I'm wondering if we can put together some kind of GBean facade
> to XBean; so the current kernel sees the XBean world as just a
> bunch of GBeans and anything which can deploy in XBean (which
> includes pretty much every Spring application on the planet)
> suddenly becomes available nicely into the GBean world.

The short answer is not without a lot of work and re-architecting of
the Geronimo kernel.  My rough plan is to not do a full XBean
integration until Geronimo 2.0, but in the 1.x tree I would like to
continue to simplify and add more features from xbean.  Specifically,
I would like to integrate the xbean-reflect package for building
attributes into Geronimo.  This will allow us to build arbitrarily
complex attribute values which can contain references to other
GBeans.  I have already added an optional flag to turn of proxing of
references between GBeans and hope to have that always on in Geronimo
1.2.  I doubt we will be able to add xbean-spring to Geronimo until 2.0.

> Something like a GBean which boots up the XBean kernel and exposes
> all the registered services as GBeans would do the trick. It
> shouldn't be too hard right?

Unfortunately, it just isn't the way Geronimo works.

> A second question is; what to do about JMX. In ActiveMQ we've
> written a bunch of MBeans so whether you use ActiveMQ in J2SE or
> J2EE you can point JConsole at the JVM and see all the various
> stats, queue depths, buffer sizes and so forth. Some of these
> things are created at deployment time; though most of them come and
> go as clients connect to the broker and the brokers own runtime
> state changes e.g. deach connection & subscription has an MBean;
> clients can create new destinations at runtime etc. How would it be
> best to integrate those into the GBean infrastructure - or would it
> be best to just leave them in JMX and let the management portlets
> just use JMX to access them.

I'm not sure on this one.

-dain