geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Aaron Mulder" <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: New Feature: Configuration Import/Export
Date Mon, 27 Mar 2006 18:01:01 GMT
Right now the console lets you view the dependencies before deciding
whether to proceed (though it has to at least download the CAR to get
that information), and likewise gives you a button you have to click
to start the configuration you just installed.  The command-line tool
is so far a bit more primitive.  It gives you a list of available
configurations, and if you select one, it's installed with all its
dependencies and started.

I'm not sure it's worth going much further with this before we define
an external format to hold the dependency information (such as an XML
file per artifact).  I would hope to wait for the Maven 2 conversion
for that, since Maven 2 already has metadata in the repository, though
it's not strictly necessary.

As far as the file that lists all the available artifacts for
Geronimo, I'm not sure we need to make it corespond to a Geronimo
release.  I was thinking more that it would list all the artifacts and
each one would say which Geronimo release(s) it works with.  I
certainly don't want to have to provide a new file for every dot
release of Geronimo.  Let's just try to get it right and use a parsing
routine that will be forgiving of future enhancements.

I'd like to learn a little more about how Maven 2 maintains the
metadata in the repository -- it seems like it already has per
artifact/version, per artifact, and per repository metadata support,
though I don't know what handles the updates and merges to those
metadata files.

Thanks,
    Aaron