geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Aaron Mulder" <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject New Feature: Configuration Import/Export
Date Fri, 24 Mar 2006 23:24:01 GMT
I've just added a new feature to the console whereby it can export an
installed configuration to a CAR file, and also install previously
uninstalled configurations (CAR files and dependency JAR files) from a
Maven repository (though at present, it depends on a properties file
being in the repository the provide some metadata on the available
CARs).  It also still doesn't have any reasonable feedback during the
download process.

Anyway, I'm not really looking at this as a final definition of the
feature, more a look at what we can do so we can talk about the best
way to do it.  (For example, we've talked about how it would be nice
to have command-line tools to do this, and while some of the code
could be extracted, we'd potentially need a separate file upload
solution, if we can't reuse the remote-deploy web app.  Also, it can
only install from a Maven repo [vs a direct file upload] so it can
fetch needed dependencies.  Also, it doesn't take advantage of the
soon-to-be-on-iBiblio Maven repository manager.)

As a conversation starter, it would be nice to distribute Geronimo
without any sample applications to make it a little leaner and faster
to start -- just have the screen in the console that lets you download
and install any of them that you want.  I also think it would be nice
to distribute without Directory and some of the other add-ons, and
provide the ability to download and install those, ServiceMix, Quartz,
and other packages we know of integration for.

If you want to take a look at this, there's an Import/Export entry in
the application part of the console navigation bar (in HEAD).  You
need to set up some Maven repo to point it to (though for a REAL quick
start you can just use a file URL like
file:///home/ammulder/.maven/repository).  And then you need a file in
the root of the Maven repo called geronimo-configurations.properties
with entries like this:

Category.ConfigId=Description

Then enter the URL to your Maven repo in the screen in the console,
and it'll list all the configurations from the properties file,
grouped by the categories you specified, and let you install anything
that's not already available in the local server.  I've attached a
sample that exposes some of the Geronimo web apps if you want a real,
real quick start.

Thanks,
    Aaron