geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Aaron Mulder" <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: 1.1 progress
Date Mon, 20 Mar 2006 20:16:05 GMT

> On Mar 20, 2006, at 11:43 AM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:
>
> > Wouldn't it be cleaner if we just walked the tree using plain old
> > java objects?
>
> I don't understand how the console works well enough to judge.  In
> particular I'm not sure if doing this would break the apparent
> capability of the console to work on a remote kernel using proxies.
> I'm hoping Aaron will tell us that we can use POJOs :-)

I'm not sure what you're trying to do and what the new capabilities
are.  The objects in the "management space" are based on JSR-77, which
returns String ObjectNames for all navigation.  E.g. If you want to
get the servers for a domain, you get a String array back.  This
interface is defined in the spec, though as an abstract/UML set of
functions not as a specific Java class/interface.

The KernelManagementHelper has a ton of helper methods so you can e.g.
pass in the domain and it will pass you back a server array, where it
calls the String/ObjectName getter method under the covers and then
uses the ProxyManager to create proxies and populates the return array
with those.  So the point of the ManagementHelper is so you can avoid
ever using ObjectNames in the portlet code -- you give it a proxy and
it gives you back proxies.

A typical case where this is relevant is if you want to locate a JDBC
driver JAR or JDBC driver class, so you need all the available
repositories for the server (so you start with either a server name or
J2EEServer proxy or something like that and need to navigate to all
repositories associated with that [and only that] server).  Or,
similarly, if you want to see all the web connectors for all the web
containers in the server.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say you want to use POJOs instead.
 Can you explain?

Thanks,
    Aaron