geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Calvin Austin <caus...@spikesource.com>
Subject Re: VM options to run Geronimo
Date Wed, 29 Mar 2006 18:35:30 GMT
I think it really depends on how much memory you have, many of the
specjbb/specjappserver results are run on 32bit machines with 4GB ram
setting -Xmx2048m -Xms2048m is fine. As Matt points out there is more
than one out of memory condition.  From memory I think 1.4.2 server had
a max permsize of 64mb so that is one candidate -XX:MaxPermSize=128m

If you are using 1.4.2 hotspot you can also use the free visualgc tool.
It will automatically detect a running jvm and show what the gc is doing
http://java.sun.com/performance/jvmstat/

regards
calvin

Rajiv M wrote:

> I mean -Xms=-Xmx is a bad setting
> ~rajiv
>

> On 3/29/06, *Rajiv M* <rmadassery77@gmail.com
> <mailto:rmadassery77@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>     -Xmx2048m -Xms2048m - this is a very bad setting. this will induce
>     fragmentation of java heap, which means heap will fail to allot
>     contiguous memory for a large object allocation (greater than 7 MB
>     is considered large). This would subsequently end in an OOM.
>
>     Ideally -Xms256 and -Xmx1024 could be tried.
>
>     ~rajiv
>
>     On 3/29/06, *Jeff Genender* <jgenender@apache.org
>     <mailto:jgenender@apache.org>> wrote:
>
>         Whew 2G of Memory!!! Nice!!
>
>         Matt Hogstrom wrote:
>> In the tests I'm running I use the following:
>>
>> java -server -Xmx2048m -Xms2048m -XX:-PrintTenuringDistribution
>> -XX:+PrintGCDetails -XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps -XX:+PrintHeapAtGC
>         -jar
>> /home/hogstrom/geronimo-1.0/bin/server.jar
>>
>> I have not played too much with tuning the tenuring for the
>         eden sizes.
>> Do you have a stack trace indicating where you
>         failed?  OutOfMemory
>> could mean several things.
>>
>> Maxim Berkultsev wrote:
>>> Hi, all!
>>>
>>> I'm trying to make some performance evaluations of Geronimo
>         with a
>>> help of
>>> JMeter.
>>>
>>> It has appeared relatively simple to get Geronimo out of
>         work. I've
>>> tried to
>>> load it with JMeter and a web primitive called
>>> **PingServlet2MDBQueue** from
>>> Daytrader bundle. I've created immediate load for 10 virtual
>         users and
>>> unlimited number of requests. Within a minute or two
>         Geronimo stopped
>>> responding to any request logging to console something like
>>> 18:32:56,180 WARN [ThreadedServer] EXCEPTION
>>> java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
>>> 18:32:57,211 WARN [ThreadedServer] EXCEPTION