geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: Session replication in Geronimo clustering
Date Wed, 29 Mar 2006 16:26:20 GMT
it would be one of these, they should all be set to a value.

tcpListenAddress="auto"
tcpListenPort="9015"
tcpSelectorTimeout="100"
tcpThreadCount="6"

also, if tcpListenAddress says "auto" instead of an IP address, the the
following code gets executed

public java.net.InetAddress getBind() {
        if (bind == null) {
            try {
                if ("auto".equals(tcpListenAddress))
                    tcpListenAddress =
java.net.InetAddress.getLocalHost().getHostAddress();
                bind = java.net.InetAddress.getByName(tcpListenAddress);
            } catch (IOException ioe) {
                log.error("Failed bind replication listener on
address:"+ tcpListenAddress, ioe);
            }
        }
      return bind;
}

so, if there is an error getting the correct address for the localhost
machine, it will return null, and could cause your nullpointer exception

my guess is of course that the attribute is missing all together.

Filip

Jeff Genender wrote:
> Filip,
>
> Thanks for the input...any idea on the missing attribute?
>
> Jeff
>
> Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:
>
>> gentlemen,
>> looks like there is an attribute missing from the
>> "<Cluster...>*<Receiver.../>*</Cluster>" element.
>> the ReplicationListener.listen() method just gets the listen address (or
>> tries to resolve the name, then gets the port)
>> then it starts up a server socket using NIO.
>>
>> the other error, no active members in group, just means that the tomcat
>> instances didn't discover each other using multicast heart beats.
>>
>> Lets get the ReplicationListener error first, then we can move on to
>> membership, can you post your tomcat config file
>> PS. the error is not related to mod_jk, its in the tomcat java code.
>> thanks
>> Filip
>>
>> Phani Madgula wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have been trying to use tomcat clustering with Geronimo for a
>>> customer application. Sometimes, I face the following problem.
>>>

>>> I downloaded apache2.0.54 and mod_jk_1.2.15 and tested clustering. I
>>> have three machines on a same subnet one windows and other are linux
>>> boxes. I have also enabled IPMulticast and no firewalls between systems.
>>>
>>> To my observation, session replication is not working. However,
>>> loadbalancer is able to fail-over successfully.
>>>
>>> When I shutdown the instance which is serving the HttpRequests, it
>>> will throw an exception stating "not able to start cluster listener"
>>> and also "no active members in the cluster"
>>>
>>> 11:09:10,572 DEBUG [WebappLoader] Stopping this Loader
>>>
>>> 11:09:10,573 ERROR [ReplicationListener] Unable to start cluster
>>> listener.
>>>
>>> java.lang.NullPointerException
>>>
>>> at
>>> org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationListener.listen(ReplicationListener.java(Compiled