geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From John Sisson <jrsis...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Problems building on windows
Date Wed, 29 Mar 2006 05:39:32 GMT
Joe Bohn wrote:

> I've been encountering a number of problems building on Windows which
> seem to be steadily getting worse and I was wondering if anybody else
> is experiencing this (and hopefully has some work-arounds).
>
> - Out of Memory Errors.   These seem to be related to two different
> things:
> 1)  Long file names.  If I remember correctly Windows has issues if
> the file names exceed 256 bytes.  I've been working with multiple
> levels of geronimo concurrently and so have had to name the root
> something other than simply geronimo.  It seems like if I start to get
> longer than 12 characters or so I begin to hit these problems.  I
> think we may be getting into trouble here with the depth of our
> packages and embedded classes.
Yes, it is concerning..
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/geronimo-dev/200601.mbox/%3C43C45F7B.6070703@gmail.com%3E
I also have had to shorten my directory path I am building in.  The long
file name issue should go way when we move to JDK 1.5_06 but a number of
other programs on Windows that deal with files also have the issue (e.g.
Windows File Explorer, WinZip, Visual SourceSafe) so this issue could
bite us with users complaining that other tools they are using can't
work with Geronimo's long directory paths.

Do we have a JIRA for this issue?

> 2)  Extra garbage hanging around in %temp% from previous builds.  The
> geronimo build leaves a lot of trash in %temp% and when that seems to
> cause problems with out of memory errors and subsequent builds.

See http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-777

Are you seeing these problems on trunk, 1.0 or 1.1 branches or all?
What JDK are you using?

For a long time I have been using the following (from memory I think
there was something in maven or one of the libraries it uses that had a
leak - not sure if this still exists)

SET MAVEN_OPTS=-Xmx512m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m

What command are you using to build?  (this could possibly affect what
code gets invoked and how much memory is used).  Do you have MAVEN_OPTS
environment variables set?

I will try to reproduce with the same JDK level and commands once you
provide the info.

> - File IO errors when running the CRLF plugin. These may be related to
> the %temp% storage but I seem to get them at times even when I've just
> cleaned out my %temp%.  Running back to back I get different results.
One thing to try is disabling XP's file indexing (which I have done).
It looks like this has caused problems for Java elsewhere (see the
workaround in this bug)..

I also found that
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html utility is
good for tracking down processes that have file handles open.  Use the
Find-->Find Handle menu option and specify the file name.

I had some similar problems for a while and ended up tracking it down my
incorrectly configured Diskeeper disk defragmenter that had paused
defragmentation and held file handles open.

Have you tried with real-time virus checking disabled to check it isn't
a virus checker causing issues?

What files are you getting the IO errors on?  Can you include the error
output?

It makes me wonder if we need to have some kind of retry logic for file
operations if we are possibly competing with file indexers etc so we can
run on a Windows box without problems.  I noticed some of the Ant tasks
have retry logic for some file operations:

http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/ant/core/trunk/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs/Mkdir.java?view=markup
http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/ant/core/trunk/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs/Delete.java?view=markup

Regards,

John