geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Hogstrom <>
Subject 1.1 Release is gearing up...let's start stting the release goals
Date Tue, 28 Mar 2006 16:04:48 GMT

Dain and David have mostly completed their work in branches/1.1.  Given that the
easy part of the change has been done its time to start thinking about getting
1.1 out the door.

The theme for 1.1 I think is appropriate is bug fixes, performance improvements
and new features.

Here is the order I'd like to proceed with to get 1.1 released:

1. Get the 1.1 release stabilized and freeze changes temporarily.
2. Run the TCK and confirm that what we have passes CTS.
3. Upgrade a limited set of function into 1.1 that is fiarly atomic.
4. Complete a final CTS run and then release 1.1 to the world.

As far as the upgrades I expect that there is a lot of function people would
like to drop in.  Based on what I've seen on the list in terms of discussion
here is my initial list.  I think a 1.1 release with just the configId changes
isn't really that dramatic from a user perspective so I think we need to add
some additional content.

* Upgrade TranQL and TranQL Connector to 1.3 and 1.2 respectively.  I've added a
statement cache that gives about a 30% performance boost on JDBC primitives in
DayTrader.  I think this is a significant improvement over 1.0 and is fairly
limited in its scope.

* Upgrade ActiveMQ to Version 4.  I don't know all the changes so we need
Hiram's input here but I think some of the improvements included improved

* Upgrade the Jetty Version to address the security problem we noted in 1.0.

* I'll compile a list of outstanding JIRA's for 1.0 and give a first triage on
them today.

* Tech preview of the installer.  Erik, I think that it is ready to go, is this

Please respond with your input in terms of what should be included.  Please
consider that we have only a week or so to get them incorporated before we start
the final TCK run.

Personally I'd like to shoot for a 1.2 by JavaOne (or at least June if we can't
make JavaOne) with some improvements targetted at the schizophrenic server :),
ahem, flexible server.)  It would be nice to have something to showcase at
ApacheCon in June as well as the TSS Europe.

Let the creative juices flow.

View raw message