geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Woods <drw_...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: New Feature: Configuration Import/Export
Date Mon, 27 Mar 2006 15:01:48 GMT
What are you thoughts on dependencies within a selected CAR?
It would be nice to see that by choosing Daytrader, you would also be
install the Corba, Axis and ActiveMQ plans while selecting the LDAP demo
would pull in the ApacheDS configuration.  Users will probably want a
way to see/list what prerequisites are required for each configuration
along with the estimated diskspace required before they deploy it, via
something like a 'deploy list-configs' option.

I think going with an XML format similar to the project.xml files for
the current geronimo-configuration.properties file is a good way to go.
  It gives us and end-users a way to provide more than just CAR files
(like WAR/EAR applications and JDBC drivers), apply validation to the
file during the build and potentially use Maven or the Eclipse Maven
plug-in for building server instances from scratch.

I assume we would have a configuration file per release?  Something like
geronimo-configs-1.2.xml, which would allow us to change our configs
package structure and available packages between releases.

-Donald