geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jules Gosnell <ju...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: [wadi-dev] Re: Session Policy was: heads up: initial contribution of a client API to session state management for OpenEJB, ServiceMix, Lingo and Tuscany
Date Thu, 16 Mar 2006 22:57:16 GMT
Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:

> Hey Jules,
> thanks for commenting, I will pop in on codehaus devlists.
> The lazy replicated map supports more than one backup node, with a
> very small tweak in just one method, you can change it to be N number
> of backup nodes. N being configurable, just a matter of getting the
> conf param down to the impl level.

nice :-) - we are just getting the first cut of our in-vm replication
service in place - it is similarly parameterisable, with a pluggable
strategy for selecting suitable replication partners...

> Apache Tribes, as I like to nickname the Tomcat group communication
> protocol, has an implementation at
> http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/tomcat/container/tc5.5.x/modules/groupcom/
>
> including the LazyReplicatedMap and a MapDemo (you're gonna be awed by
> my Swing skills).

Hmmm.. - I shall need to take the time to look at this.

> I am also in the place of implementing a regular ReplicatedMap, to use
> for context attribute replication, a feature sought after.

Yes - I have shied away from supporting distributed context attributes,
since they are not specced - but, you never know :-)

> I will subscribe to the WADI list and we can continue over there re:
> session management.

I look forward to seeing you over there,

Jules

> [...]
>>>   byte[] getSessionData() - returns the whole session
>>>   byte[] getSessionDiff() - optional, see isDiffable, resets the
>>> diff data
>>>   void setSessionDiff(byte[] diff) - optional, see isDiffable, apply
>>> changes from another node
>>>
>> So, delta-ed sessions, at whole session or attribute granularity ?
>> and when will you be sending the deltas - immediately, end of
>> request[-group], pluggable strategies ?
>>
>>> 2. Requirements to be implemented by the SessionManager.java API
>>>   void setSessionMap(HashMap map) - makes the map implementation
>>> pluggable
>>>
>>> 3. And the key to this, is that we will have an implementation of a
>>> LazyReplicatedHashMap
>>>   The key object in this map is the session Id.
>>>   The map entry object is an object that looks like this
>>>   ReplicatedEntry {
>>>      string id;//sessionid
>>>      bool isPrimary; //does this node hold the data
>>>      bool isBackup; //does this node hold backup data
>>>      Session session; //not null values for primary and backup nodes
>>>      Member primary; //information about the primary node
>>>      Member backup; //information about the backup node
>>>   }
>>>
>>>   The LazyReplicatedHashMap overrides get(key) and put(id,session)
>>>
>> interesting...
>>
>>> So all the nodes will have the a sessionId,ReplicatedEntry
>>> combinations in their session map. But only two
>>

>> two is a fixed number or deploy-time parameter ?
>>
>>> nodes will have the actual data.
>>> This solution is for sticky LB only, but when failover happens, the
>>> LB can pick any node as each node knows where to get the data.
>>> The newly selected node, will keep the backup node or select a new
>>> one, and do a publish to the entire cluster of the locations.
>>>
>>> As you can see, all-to-all communications only happens when a
>>> Session is (created|destroyed|failover). Other than that it is
>>> primary-to-backup communication only, and this can be in terms of
>>> diffs or entire sessions using the isDirty or getDiff. This is
>>> triggered either by an interceptor at the end of each request or by
>>> a batch process for less network jitter but less accuracy (but
>>> adequate) for fail over.
>>

>> I see - that answers my question about when replication occurs :-)
>>

>>> As you can see, access time is not relevant here, nor does the
>>> Session API even know about clustering.
>>

>> yes !
>>

>>> In tomcat we have separated out group communication into a separate
>>> module, we are implementing the LazyReplicatedHashMap right now just
>>> for this purpose.
>>>
>>> positive thoughts, criticism and bashing are all welcome :)
>>

>> This approach has much more in common with WADI's - in fact there is
>> lot of synergy here. I think the WADI and TC clustering teams could
>> learn a lot from each other. I would be very interested in sitting
>> down with you Filip and having a long chat about session management.
>> Do you have a Tomcat clustering-specific list that I could jump onto

crystallises out around it."

 * Jules Gosnell
 * Partner
 * Core Developers Network (Europe)