geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Alan D. Cabrera" <l...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: ActiveMQ Graduation From Incubator
Date Wed, 15 Mar 2006 20:36:28 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
>

>> This is not a vote, but simply a discussion about the graduation of
>> ActiveMQ from the Incubator.
>>

> Personally, I do not consider ActiveMQ ready.  And I do believe that it
> should be targeting TLP status.  It has its own community, is separately
> releasable and useable in many projects, not just as part of a J2EE server,
> and would do better as its own TLP.  To reiterate, these are my views.  The
> Incubator PMC may share or differ in its collective view.
>
> Keep in mind that I am not saying anything negative about ActiveMQ.  I like
> the project.  I have had quite constructive discussions with members of the
> project about possibly using the project.  It simply has a way to go before
> it is ready as a TLP.  For that matter, as others have pointed out, it still
> has some way to go in migrating infrastructure, of which JIRA is only one
> issue, and is being addressed.
>
> Generally speaking, I concur with the point made by others: new projects
> should learn from the mistakes of others, not emulate them.

I only see infrastructure issues in your list of concerns that would
prevent the graduation of ActiveMQ.

You express an opinion that it should be a TLP but mention that it has a
long way to go before it's ready for that.  Can you enumerate what
remains, aside from the infrastructure issues, to be done to graduate as
a TLP?  If AMQ has less inspiring aspirations and was to initially land
as a sub-project, can you enumerate what remains to be done to graduate?

IMO, aside from the infrastructure issues, AMQ is good to go as a
sub-project.  It should start there and if it's worthy enough, evolve
into a TLP.  I see no good reason for it to stay in the incubator at
this time.

Regards,
Alan