geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: [Apache DS] Shall we go JDK 1.5 in 1.1 branch
Date Mon, 13 Mar 2006 07:16:38 GMT
John Sisson wrote:
> Alex,
>
> Cross posting to dev@geronimo... since Geronimo has been mentioned a
> few times in this thread.
>
> AFAIK the statement below that Geronimo's latest development branch
> will use JDK 1.5 does not reflect past discussions on the dev@geronimo
> thread  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.java.geronimo.devel/22157
> .  Where JEE 5 support will be developed is yet to be decided.
>
> Can you confirm that you are proposing that both Apache DS 1.0, 1.1 &
> 1.2 will be embeddable in Geronimo on JDK 1.4.2 .
Hiya John,

Yes you are right.  Both stable (GA) releases of ApacheDS, 1.0 and 1.2,
will be JDK 1.4 compatible.  A jump to JDK 5 is probably a year out.  In
any case, we will make sure we provide 1.4 JDK compatibility with a
living GA branch for Geronimo and JetSpeed.  A JDK 5 minimum requirement
would appear with a 2.0 release of ApacheDS.  Apache 2.0 will not
necessarily kill the latest 1.x branch.

Note that 1.0 is not even released yet.  So in other words, I would not
worry too much :).  We still have much work to do.  However I did make a
mistake thinking Geronimo's JEE 5 support was going to be J2SE 5.0
based.  My bad.

Please excuse the confusion,
Alex