geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Rick McGuire <rick...@gmail.com>
Subject A couple of javamail questions
Date Tue, 07 Mar 2006 14:47:30 GMT
I'm currently working on adding NNTP Store support to the Geronimo
javamail code, which is built on top of the code that was integrated
last week that added NNTP Transport support.  I've ran into a little
gotcha on this.  The Store and Transport providers are defined in the
javamail.default.providers file, and all providers must be unique (e.g.,
smtp, pop3, etc.).  For NNTP, we're going to have both a Store and a
Transport, and only one can have the nntp name.  The Sun impl doesn't
have nntp, so there's no guidance from that corner.

GNU classpath has an NNTP implementation, and that version uses "nntp"
for the Store, and "nntp-post" for the Transport.  The Geronimo code is
currently using "nntp" for the Transport, but it's easy enough to change
that as I doubt this code is widely used after less than one week.
Should we copy what GNU did or use something else (perhaps "nntp" and
"news")?

Also, the vendor information in the javamaildefault.providers file
includes version numbers.  Should we be incrementing at least the smtp
version number since this has changed considerably since the last
Geronimo release, or should we change these to line up with Geronimo
release versions.  Thus new providers would not be 1.0 even though they
are new in this release.

Rick