geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: boot problem
Date Thu, 02 Mar 2006 20:11:35 GMT
No this is not something XBean has addressed.  In the future we are
going to lean on maven artifact for dependency resolution, and I
think they have a way to have artifacts with multiple jar files each
of which is targeted to a  specific jvm version.

-dain

On Mar 2, 2006, at 12:07 AM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:

> In HEAD now and 1.1 when it comes out there will be a message
> indicating if the JDK level your using isn't supported so people
> will at least have a heads up. Given JDK 6 is on the horizon this
> sounds like an additional dependency.  Dain, does XBean have this
> as one of the attributes so a check can be made?  I'd hate to see
> multiple CARs (one for each JVM level).
>
> Paul McMahan wrote:
>> Based on the number of problems people have encountered trying to use
>> the 1.5 JRE I'd say this is a very prudent suggestion.  I personally
>> like the second approach best because IIUC it doesn't affect the
>> schema.  It might also be neat for Geronimo to have a stock GBean
>> that
>> compares the properties it gets passed against the runtime env and
>> provides a clear error message and/or fails to start if they don't
>> match. Applications/components with specific runtime reqs could
>> optionally reference it in their plans.   Just a thought...
>> Best wishes,
>> Paul
>> On 3/1/06, John Sisson <jrsisson@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> It sounds like we could run into this issue in the future where a
>>> configuration (possibly provided by a third party) has a minimum JDK
>>> requirement.
>>>
>>> Would it make sense to have the minimum JDK requirements in the
>>> plan XML
>>> so we can gracefully skip loading configurations when the hosting VM
>>> does not meet the requirements?
>>>
>>> Another approach could be to specify configuration activation
>>> criteria
>>> (e.g. like Maven 2's activation element in the pom) so one could