geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Lin Sun" <linsun....@gmail.com>
Subject RE: valid XML checking
Date Fri, 10 Mar 2006 17:14:33 GMT
Seems there are two cases:

1)       Ideally we want to provide a complete set of deployment plan
editors so that users can start building plans from the editor.   Like
Sachin pointed out, this is not complete yet and users will have to use the
text editor to make changes/add additions for now.

2)       Even when the complete set of deployment plan editor is available,
certain users may still want to use the text editor if they don't like the
GUI or prefer text editor.

For these users, they will not care if the plan will pass the XML checking
done by EMF since they choose to editor it using the text editor.  They just
want to run their applications within the eclipse environment, same as using
the admin console or command line deployer.   Thus, if users use
non-qualified plans (quite likely when they use the text editor), I'd like
to see the eclipse plugin handle it, same as the web console deployer or
command line deployer.    I spent some time going through the plugin
debugger, here's roughly what happens when I remotely deployed the MDB war
file using the plugin:

*      publishModule()

*      doDeploy()

*       ExecuteDistribute includes load file to server, distribute the
module id MDBDemoWebApp

*       Start module.   Failed here at trying to getConfigID of the
targetModule (which is MDBDemoWebApp in my case).  The code was trying to
get the ConfigID from the web deployment plan however the resource was
failed to load due to the fact that the ejb-ref tag within the deployment
plan not recognized as valid by EMF.   On my server, I verified that the
MDBDemoWebApp distributed, but not started.

Is there a reason that we do this in two steps (distribute + stop)?  Seems
to me that we could consolidate distribute + start into one step deploy and
save us the need to get ConfigId of the module.  (I don't see how users
perform distribute applications in eclipse.) If we have to deploy an
application in two steps and we need to find the configId of the module to
start, maybe we could find a better way to parse the ConfigId value of the
Geronimo deployment plans?

Thanks,

Lin