geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From lichtner <licht...@bway.net>
Subject Re: Apache-licensed version of jgroups?
Date Mon, 20 Feb 2006 18:35:48 GMT

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006, James Strachan wrote:

> Incidentally I'm interested to see if reliable multicast in Java
> actually makes sense from a performance perspective.

Back in 2000 I was curious also. That's why I wrote an implementation of
totem. EVS4J can send about 7000 messages per second. The latency depends
on the size of the ring. You can tune both together using the windowSize
as a tuning knob.

> JGroups for example is generally pretty slow; we tend to use TCP in
> ActiveMQ if folks want high performance reliable communication and find
> its way faster; so I'm not sure if reliable multicast in Java would ever
> perform well enough to be worth it from a pure performance perspective.
> I'd love to be proved wrong of course :).

When you have a free hour, see

http://www.bway.net/~lichtner/evs4j.html

I cannot guarantee that you will decide to use evs4j, but I can guarantee
that you will get a kick out of watching it run.

Don't forget to try different window sizes.

> Certainly reliable multicast can use less bandwidth if multiple nodes
> are all consuming the same data, so even if its slower, there are use
> cases for it.
>
> I'm looking forward to whatever you come up with :)

It doesn't sound like people need it, so it probably won't happen.