geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From lichtner <licht...@bway.net>
Subject Re: Apache-licensed version of jgroups?
Date Fri, 17 Feb 2006 16:59:09 GMT

James,

I looked at the api, to try to get an idea of what it does. I tried to
look at faqs and other links on activeio.codehaus.org, and I had to create
a Confluence account, and the links were empty (boiler plate links?).

I am sure you can explain to me what the mission of this project is
supposed to be. But in any case, it seems pretty complex. Without spending
a lot more time on it I just don't know if this is a good foundation for
adding reliable multicasting, specifically I cannot gauge what kind of
performance you are going to get - I am not interested in building toys -
we have those already. Perhaps you have a specific design in mind for
adding reliable multicast?

If it were up to me, as a first guess, I could see using activeio to
handle state transfer (to add new nodes or migrate replicas) but not for
multicasting itself. That's just my first impression. Please advise.

Guglielmo