geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Plugin version numbers
Date Sun, 26 Feb 2006 20:55:03 GMT
I think we have a problem with the current version numbering of
plugins.  We are using the following scheme to generate the version
numbers:

<geronimo-major>.<geronimo-minor>.<plugin-build-number>

The first two match the geronimo version and the last is a number
that is incremented with each change to the plugin (this forces maven
to download the new version).  I think this scheme will break as soon
as we do a geronimo release that has a micro (3 dotted) revision.  We
haven't seen this problem yet in Geronimo but we almost saw it when
we were working on geronimo 1.0.1.  I propose we change to the
following scheme:

<geronimo-major>.<geronimo-minor>.<geronimo-micro>-<plugin-build-number>

Using this scheme HEAD version plugin version numbers would be:

geronimo_packaging_plugin_version=1.2.0-3
geronimo_assembly_plugin_version=1.2.0-8
geronimo_deployment_plugin_version=1.2.0-1
geronimo_dependency_plugin_version=1.2.0-1

branches/1.1 would become:

geronimo_packaging_plugin_version=1.1.0-2
geronimo_assembly_plugin_version=1.1.0-8
geronimo_deployment_plugin_version=1.1.0-1
geronimo_dependency_plugin_version=1.1.0-1

We could optionally leave off the extra .0 before the dash but I
think we should leave it in for clarity.

I'd like to implement this quickly since the build is broken due to
me changing the trunk version to 1.2 and not incrementing the
plugins.  So please let me know quickly if you have an issue with the
changes[1].

-dain

[1] We can always back the changes out but we could have published
plugins that have bad version numbers, which is something I'd like to
avoid.