geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Compilation errors in module javamail-transport
Date Thu, 09 Feb 2006 01:11:40 GMT
On Feb 8, 2006, at 4:26 PM, Rick McGuire wrote:

> David Blevins wrote:

>> Do you think it makes much sense to try and keep them separate?
>> Or are they too coupled already to be worth it?
>>
>> It's kind of a PITA to have to have a tight (i.e. snapshot)
>> dependency on a spec project.  But obviously javamail is a mess
>> and it may just be too hard.
> I'm starting to think it was a mistake to have javamail-transport
> be a separate jar file from the spec code.  In the Sun case, all of
> the code is in a single jar, so you only need the javamail jar and
> the activation jar to use it.  Because of our current split, we
> require 3 jars.  It might make sense to move the transport/store
> code into the spec jar since they are so tightly coupled.

If they are fundamentally one unit and completely tied together, it
may make more sense to put them together.  Course, I may not
understand the implications of what I say :)

I guess if the javamail-transport module is going to be where all the
change occurs, then having it outside specs kind of handy -- provided
the javamail module itself calms down and doesn't keep changing right
along with it.

Could go a couple ways.

-David