geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Thoughts on splitting out "core" from, well, products & other stuff
Date Thu, 16 Feb 2006 02:09:17 GMT
On Feb 13, 2006, at 7:15 PM, Aaron Mulder wrote:

> What would folks think of (in principle, not right now) splitting out
> the core Geronimo components from anything that wraps a 3rd-party
> product/project?  So have one area for modules like kernel, security,
> core, system, etc. and a separate area for modules like Jetty, Tomcat,
> ActiveMQ, Directory, jUDDI, etc.  I guess mainly to draw the
> distinction between what's really part of the infrastructure and
> what's really "optional packages" that can be added on top (and I'm
> talking about "optional" in a non-J2EE-server sense where you start
> with literally nothing but the infrastructure and add only waht you
> want, or something like that).  So we'd still pull a lot of that in
> for our "J2EE" builds, but it would make a clearer distinction for
> anyone who wanted a more custom build.

I've got the current openejb 3 tree setup somewhat like this and it's
really nice.  Makes it really easy to say, things in this area cannot
depend on things in that area.. and so on.

Otherwise things tend to spider together and become coupled.

Obviously the "devil is in the details" as Dain says.

-David