geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: differences between installer installation and tomcat/jetty installations
Date Wed, 01 Feb 2006 08:09:21 GMT

On Jan 31, 2006, at 9:08 PM, John Sisson wrote:

> 1) In the 1.0 branch I noticed that an installer installation has
> geronimo/repository/geronimo/cars directory (containing approx 42
> MB of car files) but the tomcat & jetty assemblies don't have the
> car directory. Is this intended?
>
> When are car files in the repository used?

I think this is an artifact of the way the installer is working right
now, namely including a repo inside it and copying everything into
the server under construction, whether or not it is used.  I want it
to install only the stuff you select.

> 2) I also noticed that in the installer installation using the
> default options, the following files (that are installed for the
> jetty/tomcat assemblies) are not installed:
>
> geronimo/repository/jars/geronimo-javamail-transport-1.0.1-
> SNAPSHOT.jar
> geronimo/repository/jars/geronimo-mail-1.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar
>
> What happens if the user initially does not select SMTP transport
> (the default) in the installer and then after installation changes
> their mind?  How are we expecting the user to get it installed?

Due to my theory about (1), I think that these are simply left out of
the installers internal repo and so the mail config may not work.  As
noted in (1) in my opinion these should get copied into the server
under construction only if you select the mail configuration for
installation.

thanks
david jencks