geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Sample plan bits for configId branch, please review!
Date Wed, 15 Feb 2006 23:43:11 GMT

On Feb 15, 2006, at 3:07 PM, John Sisson wrote:

> David Jencks wrote:

>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Ok.  I was under the impression via DJ's comments that these were
>>> only for naming.

>>> And your comment on using any naming system made me think my
>>> impression was definitely write.  I guess this isn't one of those
>>> agreed upon things just yet.
>>>
>>> So what is the general idea behind them?  A generic bucket for
>>> properties that are easily available to all gbeans in my
>>> configuration?
>>
>> I originally thought of them as having only to do with the naming
>> system, but after Dain suggested "properties" I realized that we
>> might think of something else to use them for in the future.  They
>> would be available to parts of the deployment infrastructure such
>> as the naming system, but not really to any gbeans.
> I am wondering whether having both naming properties and other
> properties under the one <properties> element may make it difficult
> for any tools (e.g. a GUI/web based tool that can read/build plans)
> to identify and display the naming properties when reading the
> plans without hard coded knowledge of the property names used for
> naming.

I think we are going off the deep end here :-).  Currently the only
use anyone has thought of for this is to supply the domain and server
name components of gbeans in configurations with no parent such as
j2ee-system.  I don't think anyone who has the knowledge to set one
of these configurations up will have any problems doing it in say
pico rather than a gui tool :-).  Really, if you are setting one of
these up, you are setting up an entirely different kind of geronimo
server, not just a minor reassembly such as going from j2ee-tomcat to
minimal-tomcat.

thanks
david jencks